I was first introduced to sage smudging about ten years ago by my mother. I was in my early twenties and going through a very bad breakup. I had invested entirely too much into the relationship, that by the end, I was emotionally and mentally depleted. I knew I was ready to move on and leave all the bad memories and emotions behind me.
My mom knew I needed a shift in energy, so she suggested sage smudging. At first, I thought it was ridiculous, how is the burning of a natural herb, going to cure me of my breakup blues? But, what Sagittarius isn’t willing to try something at least once? So my mom lit up the sage stick and we went around my room, clearing it from all the negative energy – the nights of tear soaked pillows, the heated and angry exchanges of text messages, the apology gifts. I don’t remember what exactly we said, or even how we carried out the ritual. Only thing I remember was the pungent smell, like a weed.
Recently, I’ve started posting videos and pictures on my social media and selling sage smudging kits. Since then, I have received tons of questions about the herb and the ritual, so I thought I’d go over the basics in this post.
What is sage: Sage is a plant, belonging to the mint family, popular for its culinary and medicinal uses.
What are the benefits: Sage can be used for many reasons, such as seasoning meat and/or to treating a health concern. Sage is a natural antiseptic with antibacterial properties. Ancient Egyptians used sage as a fertility drug, the Chinese used sage as a tonic for digestive issues. Native Americans burned sage to cleanse a person and/or space.
What is Sage smudging: The burning of sage aka sage smudging is one of the most common spiritual practices, used to to correct the energy in a person, space and/or object. So whether you’re moving into a new space, starting a new job, feeling stagnant, drained or negative vibes around you, sage will combat the negative energy and replenish the good and positive energy.
What items are needed to sage smudge: You simply need, sage, a heat-proof surface, matches/lighter, and a feather. You can purchase all of these items in our sage kits.
How to Sage smudge:
1. Make sure the space you’re clearing is clean.
2. Set an intention. Focus on what you’re trying to clear out.
3. Keep fans off and windows closed to minimize wind.
4. Use a heat-proof surface like a Abalone shell
5. Light the tip of the sage stick. Carefully blow out flame to allow it smolder.
6. Once you have a nice smoke going, use a feather or your hand to direct the over your body or into the spaces you want to clear.
7. When smudging your home, start at the front door, going clockwise around your house. Walking to every corner in each room, wave to the sage stick up and down the corners. Don’t forget closets, basement, garages. When smudging a person, start at the feet, and move the stick over the head.
8. When finished, you can either let the stick finish smoldering or extinguish it by gentle stubbing it against a hard surface like the Abalone shell.
How often do you sage smudge: It varies, I prefer to do it at least once a month around the new moon. However, there are times when I need to do it more often, whenever I need to clear around negative emotions or energy or when I’m buying something used.
What type of sage do you use: I use white sage, which is considered the king of all sages. It’s perfect for cleansing, divination, meditation and purification.
Where can I buy sage: Here, of course! Buy it now during our Clarity Sale and you can get a kit for 50% off, now until January 1, 2017!